Wednesday, October 24, 2007




This passed August I was invited to the Burk Museum in Seattle Washington to do a building demo there at the Native arts gathering. With the help of other native boat builders as well, John Smith from the Skokomish tribe and Dwight Tuvek a fellow Bering Straights native. It was a true collaboration of native artist and I learned a lot from John And Dwight that I will carry it with me for times to come.
The Demo was a good experience for me and it drew a large amount of people to watch in amazement as I put the kayak together. Being a skilled kayak builder I can build fast and the construction is entertaining for people to watch. People were very interested in the history and also my family connection with the kayak. People are becoming more interested in the History of this craft because of the popularity of the sport in recent years. I am hoping to dive into doing more demo work in the near future and concentrate on places were people are selling recreational kayaks as well as natural history museums. This way there will become a bridge between the passed and the future of this craft and make it that much more interesting for people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home